Tinnye is a village of about 1350 Hungarian speaking inhabitants situated in the valley of the Körtvélyes brook at the foothills of the Budai, Gerecse and Pilis mountains at about 20 miles from Budapest, the capital of Hungary. It is surrounded by a picturesque sight of hills, valleys, the lake Garancs, cultivated fields, brooks and forests. From the highest points of its boundary you can enjoy a magnificent view of the peaks of the surrounding hills and mountains.
Traffic, public transport : The main road between Budapest and Esztergom (highway 10) goes at a distance of 4 kms from the village. There are two asphalted roads coming from it at Piliscsaba and Pilisjászfalu. These roads then turn to Budakeszi, Zsámbék and to Esztergom in the centre of Tinnye. Several buses stop daily in the village on their way between Budapest and Esztergom, Zsámbék and Piliscsaba. The nearest railway stations are at about 4 km in Piliscsaba and Pilisjászfalu.
Institutions and other establishments: Mayoral Office, Post Office, Kindergarten, The Kossuth Lajos Primary School, Surgery, Pharmacy, Groceries, Inns, the HOLOFON 95 Plastic Recycling Ltd, Pilis Riding School.
Some historical data
Many fossils of several kinds of shells and oysters from various geohistorical ages can be found in the ground all over the village. Cerithium, a kind of limestone lumped from millions of shells and oysters from the seas of the Sarmatha-age is most characteristic of this place.
Prehistoric tools made of stone and bronze, different finds from the Roman and the migration period show that these areas have continually been inhabited from the earliest ages up to now.
The name of the village, Tinnye may come from the Slavic before the Hungarian conquest, meaning marshland.
After the Conquest the village belonged to the central part of the country. There are some finds from this age in the Hungarian National Museum which had belonged to the local collection of Vásárhelyi Géza.
In the Middle Ages the village lay on both sides of the brook around St Jacob’s Chapel. The Chapel had survived the Ottomans and after that came into the possession of the Reformed Church. Lately it was renovated in 2000 and the arches of several doors and windows of the original building can be seen now.
The oldest document mentioning Tinnye comes from 1274. It says that Tinnye was the possession of Tinnyei Miklós, it also mentions the well developed farming and viniculture in the village.
After the Tartar invasion the Aynard knights erected a fortress on the peak South-East from the village. It was destroyed after a relatively short period. The relics of an old earthwork found in the Páskom may date back to the Arpads’ age. Before 1319 palatine Moys pledged Tinnye to Vernel and his son, commanders of Buda Castle. After 1319 the uninhabited village was given to Hontzpázmán Kázmér and András by the king.
After the dying-out of the Arpad dinasty the village was depopulated. In 1346 it was possessed by Iwandorf János and Zudor Péter, in 1361 by Margit, Magyar Pál’s wife . In 1369 it entered into the possession of the Nuns of Óbuda. Some time before 1381 the inhabitants of Tinnye had refused to pay the tide so they were excommunicated for 3 years. In 1384 forty-three of the inhabitants swore an oath on paying the tide in St. James Church. Most of their names are Hungarian. The list includes a judge, some magistrates, a coach-maker, a tailor, a smith, a weaver.
In 1541 Tinnye was occupied by the Ottomans. These parts being at the borderline the inhabitants ran away and the village became deserted. Then gradually the earlier inhabitants returned and settled down again.The nuns’ ownership was unbroken but the Hagymássy and Eölbey families also posessed some lands. Since 1663 the list of Presbyterian pastors is unbroken.
In 1702 general Miskey István who was an outstandingly brave warrior in the fights against the Ottomans redeemed the boundaries of Tinnye-Úny-Jászfalu with 4500 guldens from the imperial treasury. To maintain the running of their gradually dividing possession the descendants of the family organized a commonage so they handled jointly the butcheries, the inns, the mills, the grazing lands, the forests and the lake and distributed the income according to their share of possession.
Tinnye was a noble community with 23 taxpaying houses in 1715. The number of the inhabitants was rapidly increasing. In 1825 it was already 1364. The most important noble families of the village were the following: Miskey, Posgay, Friebeisz, Csehfalvay, Setéth, Tiborczszeghy Horváth, Simontsits, Hyros, Sántha, Privorszky, Koltay, Ocskay, Hatala, Huszár, Hegedüs, Somogyi, Párniczky, Újfalussy, Hoblik, Gajzler, Wattay, Vásárhelyi, Hantken, Szokoli, Kossuth.
During the 19th century these families erected about 30 mansions mainly in the classicist style. Some of these mansions can still be seen in the village but unfortunately their present owners are not able to preserve or renovate them.
Some of the noblemen living in Tinnye had played important roles in matters of national importance. Simontsits János, for instance, was the sub-prefect of Pest county and being a friend of Fáy András took part in the founding and then the running of the first savings-bank (Pesti Hazai Első Takarékpénztár) and the National Theatre (Nemzeti Színház).